Friday, October 4

Steam Dragons!

As winter was fast approaching, with the first snows having already come to the San Juan Mountains, making things even more urgent for stocking our winter meat stores.  Word from A'ts'inna was that many of the elk have come down to graze due to the early heavy snows up near the Three Cities: Durango, Silverton, and Ouray.  Silver and I had been out for two days hunting, and had two elk already.  That was when I started noticing strange prints again in the sand.   It was the same strange, machine-like, lizard tracks.  We were nearly to the edge of the cliffs, where we could climb down into the safety of the cave house, when we heard it.
"Wryn!  St-st-steam....Dr-dr-dragon!" Silver stammered in shock.
"I see it.  Silver, get your butt down into the caves, now!  Take the elk, and keep Clove, Luna, and Murk inside till the dragon is past... No mater what you hear up here!  Now GO!"  I order.  Every bone and muscle in my body shifts into archer mode.  I draw my bow, but never shoot.  The steam dragon just flies slowly by me, eyeing me with my bow drawn, and goes on its way.  Apparently, we are not part of it's plan... today anyway.

~ Wryn Kasa

No comments:

Post a Comment