Sunday, August 25

At A'ts'inna

The trip here was without event, other than a small monsoon rain*.  "Bleska, I am glad to be inside and not camping tonight."  A'ts'inna is always busy this time of year.  Many families with funds are prepping to send their children off to boarding school and the next pueblo over, Zuni, has their fair around now.  "Bleska, I am glad I can spare the Kasa clan orphans of Yetim the pain of boarding school.  Boarding schools were bad in the 1880's, and they are bad again in the 2110's.  'Tis not an experience I would wish on my worst enemies, let along fellow orphan's I call my 'children'.  They force everyone to learn only English and learn proper society.  Out here that finery will just get us killed.  No, Clove, Silver, Murk, and Luna are safer at home being taught from the land and the books my mother left us; just as I was with Soren as my teacher."

My lodging is modest.  A simple one room with a wash bowl, oil lamp, rope bed, and floor rug.  On the
bright side, they let Bleska sleep in the room.  This is all a trader like me needs.  
As I sit looking out the window, I sigh, "I wonder what the valley looked like 100 years ago?  I know the Beale's Railway Station use to be the El Morro National Park Ranger Station, now it is home to numerous passenger and supply trains.  Beale's Railway itself runs along Beale's Trail and old HWY 53 from Albuquerque to Flagstaff past A'ts'inna and Zuni."  I yawn.  "They even brought camels back after nearly 240 years of not using them here.  Imagine, not using camels in a desert!"
Bleska looks at me like, "Come to bed. Tomorrow is for trading and visiting."
"Alright, alright, I'll go to sleep.  Sleepy head tiger."  I tease Bleska.  She just flicks her tail and doesn't open her eyes. Two more days and we will be back on the road.  Good night for now, big day of trading tomorrow.

~ Wryn Kasa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*It rains hard nearly every day during the American southwest desert's monsoon season.  In the desert we call a "small monsoon rain" one that does not last long and doesn't over flow the rivers. ~ MMN

No comments:

Post a Comment