Wednesday, August 21

"Mother" Wryn, the Trapper Gal

Greetings from 2113 or there abouts.  My name is Wryn Kasa, "the little bird dressed in furs".  I am just 19 years old, and have been an orphan since I was 9.  I watched both of my parents die of the "Great Plague" before my eyes.  My elder brother, Soren Kasa, was a tinker and land speeder builder.  He died on his way back from a major trade event, less than 6 months ago, leaving me the "mother" and sole trader for our clan of orphans.  So it is in this hard land of the Anasazi Desert I dwell.

As I sit thinking how we are going to survive without Soren, Murk, the youngest of the 4 other orphans that dwell with me in our 5 bedroom cave dwelling, climbs in my lap, "Wryn, when you going to A'ts'inna? I want peppermints and a toy Ceplin."  Ceplins, also called A'ts'inna Ceplins, are smaller airship holding about 30-40 people, compared to full sized Zeplins which hold over 100.
"Soon, Murk, soon.  But first I need to figure out what we need."  I tell him, rubbing his white hair.  He cant remember his parents, and all he has is us and his sister Luna.
Luna pipes up, "Murk found some pictographs by the Anasazi, while we tracked the turkey yesterday.  I went back and translated them.  We also saved all the turkey tail feathers, we could trade half of those."
Silver shakes his head, Luna is just 9 and tries to be too grown up sometimes.  "We need some games for the coming winter, plus I need some more silver to melt down.  Any cheep tools.  Oh, were not you needing new tips for your arrows?"
I shake my head, "No, I have the tools to make new tips, but thank you Silver, that is more what I was thinking of."  He is 17, and just two years younger than I.  He has been like a brother to me for the past 8 years along with Clove.  "Now, my cook and weaver, what are you needing, dear Clove?"
"I will make you a list.  My food trunk is nearly empty, though the root cellar and smoke house is full our garden and hunting items, all our store bought items are gone...lost when brother Soren died."  Clove replies, ever practical, sometime to a fault, even though she is just 16.  "Oh, and I need some sewing fabric.  We will need new dress shirt and dresses soon."
I make a icky face.  "Very well.  I will go inventory what we have to trade.  I will go soon, like in the next few days. Make do with what we have until I figure out."  Well, it appears if we will survive this winter, I best be planning a trip to A'ts'inna, the Chacoian city atop El Morro.
~ Wryn Kasa   


No comments:

Post a Comment