Monday, August 26

Trading Day

Trading Day is always exciting.  Back when it was just Soren and me, before the other orphans joined our clan, while I was still little.  Soren would always let me get peppermint sticks.  But that was then, and this is now.  Now I am the trader, and Soren lays dead in our Yetim graveyard, or at least his fingers do, as we never found his body.

So, I walk up to the counter and old Trader Alpheus Avery, and he just glares at me.  His daughter Lillian, smiles, and says, "Don't minded my father.  He is still bitter that we lost Soren."  My brother had been sweet on Lillian, and old Trader Avery much to the surprise of everyone had seen Soren a good match for Lillian because he had picked himself up out of nothing, and become a good trader.  They had even talked of setting up a story atop Canyon above the Caves of Yetim. Then came the accident and Soren's death.  Sometimes I still think Lillian thinks she is my sister, and I wonder if Soren had proposed or something.  Well, what ever it was, it is good for business.

"$152 for the skins, $100 for the saddle, $75 for the rug, and $45 for the solar panels."
"What of Silver's items?" I ask.
 "$50 for the lot." Lillian replies, with a hint of special treatment.
I am getting nervous, "What does Trader Avery think?"
"The Kasa trades are mine from now on." Lillian assures me.
That is all I need hear.  I give her our list.  "100 lb of flour, 50 lb of spaghetti, 10 lb of coffee, 2 lb of cloves, 1 lb of nutmeg, 1 lb of ginger, 10 yards of Brown Calico, 2 yards of Black Calico, 1 Stetson hat, and 4 pairs of jeans.  Also, add in one cast iron dutch oven and one cast iron griddle."
"Your trade total was $422, and your change from your purchases is $300.18.  I am throwing in a lb of peppermint sticks in honor of Soren."  Lillian quickly makes me the change. "Oh, and the A'ts'inna Ceplin toy Soren order for Murk is in.  Paid in full, so no charge today."
It is then as she hands me Murk's Ceplin, I see the bad burn on her left hand.  Strange, as it looked like about 6 months old and like it was from an older type of steam-land speeder, a flash of hope crosses my mind, 'Was Soren driving Lillian's speeder, and Lillian following?  Could Soren be alive?' but I dare not ask.
"Any thing else?" Lillian asks, drawing her hands into her serapie.
"Not today, Lillian.  My thanks for the very fair trade.  You are welcome to visit the Kasa Cave in Yetim, any time.  If you wish, you can even move into Soren's cave, the agreement to open a post for Yetim stands, Soren living or not." I tell her.  That will make her father Trader Avery happier and life easier for all of us.
Lillian gasps, "I am honored.  I know that is a rare offer, not many non-orphans are invited to live and work at Yetim."
With that Lillian and I silently load Bleska with the purchases and Lillian gives Bleska a mutton jerky treat she keeps for her.   I am of again.  Always good to do an early trade.  If weather holds, I should be home in 2 days.

~ Wryn Kasa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Sale prices are based on actual prices from 1880's for dry goods, and 1880's to 1920's on furs. Check trade prices page for more info.  ~ MMN


No comments:

Post a Comment